The National Statistical System is functioning within the frame of cooperation between the National Institute of Statistics, public central and local authorities and the National Bank of Romania, each of them having a limited production and dissemination area of official statistics in Romania. Its architecture is gradually evolving over time, as specific competence is developing, according to the needs of official statistics in various fields of public interest.
The National Statistical System Committee (COMSTAT) is a consulting body, including representatives of official statistics producers, respectively of public insitutions or statisitcal profile units within a public authority or institution, belonging to the National Statistical System, which collect statistical data, process and disseminate official statistics.
COMSTAT has the main role to support the National Statistical Institute in the coordination process of the National Statistical System for the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of its development strategy and of multiannual and annual national statistical programs. COMSTAT was created according to the Law no. 226/2009 regarding the organisation and functioning of official statistics in Romania, with later modifications and completions.
In keeping with the complexity and specificity of certain topics, experts from statistical enterprises and institutions, teaching staff and other personalities, that can contribute to the solving of issues under discussion can take part in the COMSTAT works as guests.
COMSTAT composition is set up by Order of the president of the National Statistical Institute.
The representatives of the National Institute of Statistics are the members by right of COMSTAT.
COMSTAT leadership is provided by the president of the National Institute of Statistics, assisted by a technical secretariat ensured by the staff from the National Statistical Institute.
COMSTAT elaborates and approves its own organisation and functioning regulation, approved by order of the INS president.
COMSTAT components – 2019
1. Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
2. Ministry of Public Finance
3. Ministry of Environment
4. Ministry of Justice
5. Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Protection
6. National Public Health Institute
7. National Agency for Environmental Protection
8. National Agency for Fisheries and Aquaculture
9. National Regulatory Authorithy for Energy
10. National Authorithy for Administration and Regulation in Communication
11. Romanian Aeronautical Authority
12. National Sanitary Veterinary and Food Safety Authority
13. National Administration of Penitentiares
14. National Trade Register Office
15. General Inspectorate for Imigration
16. General Inspectorate of the Police Border
17. Romanian Film Center
Last update: May 8, 2019